8.24.2011

Temptation...

While this journey is about a lot of things, one of particular note for these first few days is temptation. Because I'm new at this and need to build strength and resilience in this area I'm mostly avoiding it--I stare straight ahead at the grocery store, I opt out of the group lunch outing, I've asked my coworkers to avoid speaking about food (they haven't), etc etc. When it's not possible to avoid, like packing spiderman's lunch (although I think I'm going to ask BFO to start doing that for me), I grin and bear it.

Today, as I was digging around in my glove compartment for a phone charger I stuck my finger into a melted bar of dark chocolate...




This resulted in a 20 minute internal dialogue about whether or not to lick it off. After many attempts at bargaining by my lower self, my higher self won, the chocolate was not licked (not even the residue that remained after wiping the bulk off with a napkin--although my higher self had a hard time resisting that one. You see, she really longs to be good at compromise).